8.26.2014

Mixed Berry Mini Pies


So I posted this picture on Instagram today and I had a ton of recipe requests. So, I figured I might as well do a quick write up and share one of my absolute favorite recipes.

I got these awesome little pie tins from Williams Sonoma, you can find them here, or here. Ever since their maiden voyage mini pies have been Zack's first choice for desserts. Normally, I hesitate because pie crust. Don't get me wrong, I love love love homemade pie crust, and when time permits I prefer to make it. But, when you want an amazing treat in less than 4 hours, store bought pie crust is a heaven send! It's actually delicious and so easy to use. (Zack might like it better than my homemade.) You can find it in the refrigerator section near the cookie dough. It will look like this.

In case you want to do it the old fashion way I'll include my pie crust recipe as well!

Crust
1 1/4 Cup   AP Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp  Sugar
1/2  tsp       Salt
1/2 Cup      Butter (Cold, like almost frozen)
4-6 Tbsp     Ice Water

Filling (Inspired by Martha)
16-20 oz     Your favorite berries
1/4 Cup      Sugar
1 1/2 TB     Cornstarch
Juice of 1    Lemon

Topping (Inspired by this)
1/2 Cup     AP Flour
1/2 Cup     Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp      Cinnamon
5 Tbsp      Butter (Cold, like almost frozen)

The lifesaver with pie crust and the topping is a KitchenAid or Food Processor. In culinary school we cut the butter into the flour by hand, but honestly.. ain't NOBODY got time for that.

Crust
Make sure your butter is really cold, then cut it into little cubes and throw it in with the dry ingredients. Mix on Medium to High until tiny clumps appear, about the size of peas. While it's mixing fill a cup with ice and then pour water over the ice. Once the butter/flour mixture is ready, (if you're using the food processor remove the blade) add the ice water one tablespoon at a time and mix with your hands. When you get to around 4 TB (depending on the humidity in the room) the dough should start to stick together so you can form a ball in your hand. Its important not to add too much water. Form the dough into a disk shape and refrigerate for at least an hour. Once its rested and cold, roll out to desired thickness and cut out circles for your pans. (Or just make one big pie right?) To measure for the little tins I turn one upside down and cut about 1/4-1/2 inch around the rim. Spray pie tins and make sure you press into the scallops.

Filling
Throw everything in a bowl and mix gently. Scoop into prepared pie tins. There should be enough that it forms something of a mound.

Topping
Cut butter into cubes. Throw into dry ingredients and mix on high until it becomes crumbly yummy looking topping. It will mix longer than the pie crust. Sprinkle on top of berries. (You'll want it to fully cover the filling)


Place the pies on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. The fruit filling should be bubbling, the topping should be crispy and slightly golden. Allow to cool (or eat it piping hot with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top.)

I wish I had more pictures of the process, but I didn't plan on writing about it. I'll take more next time! I hope you get a chance to make these and enjoy these as much as we did!
XOXO
SD

P.S. If you're a pinner, I'd love for you to pin this recipe!

No comments :

Post a Comment